General Practitioner (VMO)
General Practitioner (VMO) – 1:2 on-call – TAS, Rosebery
We are looking for an experienced doctor to provide GP/VMO services to the rural mining community of Rosebery on Tasmania’s stunning West Coast.
About the Practice and Hospital
The Health Centre co-ordinates the delivery of services such as Community Nursing, an Accident and Emergency Service, a visiting diabetic clinic, needle exchange program and other support programs.
Working alongside one experienced GP/VMO, you will receive nursing and administrative support and provide on-call services to the hospital (co-located with the practice).
You will work alongside a Vocationally Registered GP/VMO in our Rosebery practice, supporting GP services in neighbouring Zeehan.
You will be working in the general practice and deliver a 1:2 on-call service to the local hospital.
About the Town
Located on the picturesque west coast of Tasmania, Rosebery is an active mining town nestled deep within the stunning West Coast Range, on the slopes of Mount Black. The town was founded in 1893 when prospector Tom McDonald discovered gold in the area, and the main mine has been in operation since the 1930s, producing zinc, lead, copper, silver, and gold, and continuously supporting the town’s economy. Well known for its beautiful and secluded atmosphere, Rosebery is situated 145 metres above sea level, 90 minutes south of Burnie, and 45 minutes north of Queenstown.
The approximated 1032 residents of Rosebery, along with its many visitors, enjoy some of the most stunning attractions to be found on Tasmania’s famous west coast region. Montezuma Falls are a popular attraction - at 113 metres tall, these are Tasmania’s highest falls. There are also several more challenging walking tracks throughout the rugged peaks of Mount Black, Mount Read, Mount Farrell and Mount Murchison; these volcanic mountains surrounding Rosebery are covered in lush green rainforest, and offer spectacular views of the entire area. Lake Pieman and Lake Rosebery are popular fishing hotspots, where locals and travellers reel in plump trout all year round, camping and picnicking on the shores. Aside from its scenic allure, Rosebery also has a selection of shops, cafes, and pubs, a swimming pool, a golf course (Australia’s steepest course, in fact!), and a heritage centre where you can learn all about the Aboriginal and European history of the area.
You will benefit from:
- $350K – $400k package (including house and car)
- Excellent supervision or mentoring (if required) by a senior FACRRM doctor (based in Queenstown)
- Relocation, procedural, CPD and retention grants
- A location eligible for RLRP, RVTS and ACRRM independent pathway
- Significant reduction in moratorium
- 1.5 hour drive to Wynyard Airport
- Rosebery is classified as an RA4 (Remote) location
- Eligible for the rural relocation and retention grants.
- The practice has a DWS status and practitioners are eligible for ROMPs payments.
- General Registration or above with AHPRA
- Proficient with common general practice conditions
- Current emergency medicine certificate (APLS, ELS etc.) and recent experience in an unsupervised setting